Monday, February 2, 2009

They're joking, right?

“Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter.”
Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507.

I wonder what would happen to me if I didn't pay over $120,000 in taxes. Okay so that would take me a while, it's true, but seriously. What is going on? Doesn't something seem a little out of whack? You can't make this stuff up. So one of my elected officials is George Voinovich. Get this quote from one of the pages on his website:

"Gone are the days when public officials are measured by how much they spend on a problem…public officials are now judged on whether they can work harder and smarter, and do more with less." – George V. Voinovich

I mean is he kidding? I gave his office a quick jingle and suggested that they might tweak that a bit...all things considered :)

Checking out my other Senator's website, I was noting that Sherrod Brown was supporting the "Buy American" clause of the Stimulus package. If Senator Brown (and I use that term loosely) had ever taken an econ class in college or perhaps read Applied Economics as suggested below, he might understand that the impact of that type of legislation is negative. Now, don't get me wrong. I am totally for supporting American industry. I've never owned a car made by a foreign manufacturer and never will, but having a government policy to that effect just doesn't work. History shows us that.

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty here (mainly because it is probably boring and kind of a downer in general), but it is really shocking to me that these idiots don't understand the first thing about business. And I can't even balance a checkbook :)

History has shown us so much that is wrong with what our government is about to do here. It is really hard to believe that they think we are that dumb. Maybe you should tell them we're not!

Have you contacted your Senators?

No comments:

Post a Comment